Dangers of Medications with Lewy Body Dementia
Did you know that commonly prescribed anti-psychotics can be potentially harmful or even deadly for people with Lewy Body Dementia?
To make matters even worse, Lewy Body Dementia (LBD) is commonly misdiagnosed. Even though LBD is the second most prevalent form of dementia, physicians regularly misread the symptoms for Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s Disease.
How to be an Ambassador for Your Person with LBD
– Know the Symptoms: People with LBD can have movement problems, visual hallucinations (particularly of animals, children, and people), problems with fine motor skills (hands & swallowing), episodes of rigidity and syncopy, nightmares or insomnia, delusional thinking, and fluctuations in abilities. And very importantly, their response to medications can be strange and dangerous.
– Get a Proper Screening: Your long-term family physician probably has a wealth of knowledge about a large variety of diseases, but if you suspect your loved one or resident might suffer from LBD we strongly recommend seeing a neurologist and geriatrician specializing in dementias.
- A MRI, PET scan and/or CT should help getting a correct diagnosis.
- Teepa’s Tip: Videotape unusual behaviors with your cell phone or other camera! Many times a person that shows unusual behaviors acts entirely normal when in a doctor’s office, making it hard for your physician to get a full picture of what’s happening. If you can show it to the doctor, the chances of a proper diagnosis greatly increase. (Important: To not upset the person with the potential diagnosis we recommend showing it to the physician when the patient is not in the room with you.)
– Learn about Lewy Body Dementia: The more you know the better you can help. Being aware of what is normal and what is not is vital, and knowing how the disease progresses enables loved ones to provide the greatest level of comfort for each stage of the disease.
See FREE Video Clips below of the
2.5 hours training program "Lewy Body Dementia"
with trainer Teepa Snow:
"What is Lewy Body Dementia?"
"Lewy Body Dementia: Understanding Movement Problems"